Monday, August 24, 2015

In Lille

This morning, we almost literally drove entirely cross country. We started our trip a few hours north of the Mediterranean, from near Cahors, and ended our trip in Lille, right by Belgium.


We drove through Paris and also, low and behold, the city of Orleans; so there is a reason the French Quarter in Louisiana is called New Orleans.
I would like to point out that, despite the fact that it was an 8 hour dive, it was one of the most pleasant road trips I've ever been on.
Why's that? Well, I would argue that it's because the French really have themselves together. But my view of the French is fairly limited because the only French people I've actually interacted with for extended periods of time are host families that have themselves organized to the point where they can host a teenaged stranger comfortably (very organized).
Here, the house is what I would call a massive loft. I think it's absolutely amazing. 
The family has four daughters and they all came over for dinner tonight.
The quote of the day was when the dad was complaining that when the wife and four daughters are all together, he can't get a word in. He was explaining this to me and stopped himself mid sentence and added in that now he'll be having to deal with five daughters because of me.
Wow; is your heart warmed yet?






5 comments:

  1. You are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the photo in a town in Lille, Elizabeth? Nice blog; thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The top photo was taken in Lille, the bottom in a town near Cahors- Saint Cirque-Lapopie

      Delete