Sunday, August 16, 2015

In Cahors Still

I've officially been in Cahors for a week. I'm not sure what I expected it to be like here, but I'm even less sure what it's actually like here.

We live in a house just off the property of a vacation club that, again, reminds me endlessly of every camp/country club movie I've ever seen (pools like hsm2, buildings like dirty dancing, cabins like parent trap, etc.).
(The house)

Every night here there is a "spectacle" (or as someone joked, a "pastèque" (watermelon)). You're probably wondering, "What exactly is a spectacle?" Good question. 
Every translation I've ever received for "spectacle" has been "dance party". But it's a dance party essentially just geared towards young children. There's an enthusiastic dance man on stage that leads, colored club lights, and loud (English) music playing. This goes on for about an hour I think.
Then, following this dance party, is what I'd call a dinner show. It's like the type of thing youth groups put together to entertain at a fundraiser dinner. These acts are an ensemble of ages; I take it that the kids in the show are volunteering for fun and the adults are hired employees. There's singing and acting, and so on.
These shows get weird. I say that in a nonjudgmental way- not weird in a bad way but, rather, weird in the way you say "bruh, that party last night got weird".

I'd been looking for a way to accurate display this vibe to you and I finally found one; here's an old photo collage I found (hanging in the bathroom) and... just take it in:

Friday night, I finally watched the full spectacle for the first time. Imagine my surprise when the theme was "Le rêve américain". Yes, the American Dream. 
So that was weird in itself. 
(The spectacle)

What on Earth is with the glamorization of America? My nationalistic self is quick to say that it's (obviously) a great place; but, on a serious note, it's unreal just how glorified it is. Flashback to the American Party I attended in Port Vendres and the American Celebration I attended in Toulouse.... 
France and America are only so different in actuality....

Anyway, the most memorable part of the spectac was the act that I personally label as the "nudist act".
Maybe you can tell, but each person has only a small towel to keep himself decent(ish).
They then did a dancy thing and kept folding the towels into progressively smaller rectangles. We were eventually mooned. 
Nudity, in France, is more accepted- noticeably. But I think we all expected that. 

In other news, the novelty of me being American is slowly evolving from "which country do you prefer" to "hey translate this song for me".

These are my people.

I sometimes understand what's happening.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful, chuckle-inducing post, Elizabeth! Thank you so for putting in the effort to give us a "glimpse" of your current situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always glad to hear there's someone laughing at my jokes other than just me. Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete