Wednesday, July 22, 2015

In Group Activities

Many, many times I have been in camp situations where I'm forced into activities for what I call "mandatory 'fun'". These have rarely ever actually been fun in the past, however they have really been pretty nice here with my program in Toulouse:

Yesterday, my group and I went to the 216th anniversary celebration of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Everyone dressed nicely and there was lots of food. It was in the capital building, this palace-like place in the middle of the city that hardly anyone is ever allowed into. 
All we had to do was show our U.S. passports to get in, and shabam. It was heartwarming to be around so many Americans. I met the American Ambassador in France and Monaco, and also the mayor of Toulouse.

The Ambassador and I

My entire group with the Ambassador 

In the capital building for the celebration, where there still was not air conditioning (from left to right: Karina, Me, Courtney, Siada)



Just before that, went to the downtown area and explored. There was a playground. I love playgrounds.

A particularly cool building


Today, we went to a patisserir and learned how to make macaroons (pastries which every French person makes fun of us for mispronouncing the name of). I tried foi gras (not my favorite) and made a whole bunch of macaroons. There was a lot of effort involved in this process and I'm glad we can just buy them at the Sunday market for .2 euro a piece instead.

Three of my five

MACAROOMIES

No comments:

Post a Comment